Monday, February 18, 2019

Impromptu performance...


Amazing how fast folks here can put together a party.  With the music get together for today moved from a patio to the Event Center, this morphed from a jam of sorts to a performance.  Somewhere between 40 and 50 people were there.  Hugo, the 93 year old guy I mentioned earlier has a birthday coming up soon... these folks put together a party for him - cake, balloons, and him getting his "bucket list" wish of being able to play bass in front of people again.

It was Tony and me for most of the two hours we played, bringing Hugo up for a half dozen songs or so towards the end.  Musically, Tony and I were more compatible than what happened yesterday.  Yes, I played some country music, but he was totally good with some old rock 'n roll.  We took turns picking songs from our own set lists; with me sitting where I could see his left hand on the keyboard, I could pretty much follow what he was playing.  I had my iPad with OnSong pulled up, so he had chords and words to follow on my selections.  Tony has his keyboard set up for putting in the drum parts, so he is essentially a one-man band.  He has a PA and a vocal harmonizer, so he is equipped for it.  He does the music for a lot of their dances here.

I used my guitar direct into the Bose and ran my mic into his PA, just so the voices would be coming from the same place.  It worked fine.

Turned out to be fun.




No comments: