Tuesday, June 25, 2019

A passenger...


Well, more like a stowaway.  I didn't notice it at first... we had quite a rainstorm overnight, and I walked around the puddles in the street on my morning outing.  Back home, re-hydrated, and out on the bicycle.  I was about half way into my ride when I noticed a small gecko holding on to the brake cable.  When I say small: it was maybe an inch and a half overall length.

He looked up and made eye contact with me.  I said, "Hang on, little guy, we'll be back home in a few minutes."  Apparently, he didn't like being spoken to and started crawling down the brake cable.  Then, a jump to the other brake cable (coming off the levers on the handlebars).  He hung on for a while... and then a leap off the bike.

I felt bad for the little critter.  I have no idea if Momma geckos do anything to help the babies survive, but this guy jumped off a long ways from home... assuming home is somewhere around the front steps at our house.  We occasionally see geckos darting around there.

No, they aren't gross vermin - they eat bugs.  I've always considered them good luck.  I've never heard them talk with an English Cockney accent... but this little one did scream "Geronimo!" when it jumped off my bike.

--------------

More rain coming this afternoon, so I got out for a second walk earlier than usual.  When I got back, I sat in the chair to relax for a bit.  The big furry boy hopped up on me...


It will be 2 months tomorrow since "the cut."  This photo shows me that I continue to improve: yeah, I'm smiling; Rufus hopped up on me and I didn't wince; he is laying on me with all his weight on that hip and it is no problem.  But, the real take-away from this is: Rufus is back snuggling with me and on me; he gives me head-butts on my jaw (and he packs a pretty good punch).  He knows I am getting better.

:-)


No comments: