Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Between the drops...


The weather weasels have been predicting the rain.  A few drops here and there, but nothing solid.  I was about ready for my morning walk when it came down a bit more.  And then, a sucker hole.  "What's a sucker hole?" you ask.  Thanks for asking.  Pilots know this term: when a small patch of blue sky appears in the clouds... go up through that opening, and you might get "caught on top"... and VFR pilots aren't trained to get back down through the clouds.

I checked the hourly predictions, and it looked good for a walk.  Out on our street...


Yep, that far end of the street is how far I'm walking today - right to the cul-de-sac at the end of the street.  And at the end of the street, there is this view to the east...


That is the next canal over and the "natural side" of our island.  You can see the highrises on South Padre Island in the distance.  And then, back down our street...


I made it back without getting rained on.  Rufus must have missed me while I was out walking, because he sat on my lap for quite a while...



That is a contented face.  He still isn't completely sure about this powered chair, but I think he is discovering the "stretch out space" on it.  I had to disturb him when it was time for my indoor exercises.

A knock at the door.  Our friend and neighbor, Susan, was at the door, bringing us mail that had been mistakenly put in their box.  She was walking their large dog, Tessa.  While Joan and Susan visited at the door, Rufus walked over to see what was going on.  He had only seen Tessa once before (last year) and she was in her puppy stage and a bundle of energy.  This morning, Tessa was more sedate, and she and Rufus were curious about each other...



No fear or hesitation with either - they seemed perfectly comfortable with each other.  Good socialization for both of them.  And for us - always nice to see our neighbor.  Susan is the one who said to me (a couple weeks ago, while I was out walking), "It is good to see you smiling again."  I think that may have been a turning point for me... and I have been smiling a lot since then.  :-)

---------------------

Joan suggested we take in a movie this afternoon... sounds like a good idea to me.  We have gotten spoiled with some of the theaters in Phoenix, with electric reclining over-stuffed seats and plenty of room in each row.  And, being able to book your seats ahead of time on-line.  By comparison, our local theater hasn't updated their seating in the 20+ years we've been going there.  Well, this is kind of a big deal...


OMG, high-back comfortable new seats!  In three of the four theaters.  To be honest, I wanted to go see a movie, but I wasn't looking forward to the awful seats in this theater... this was a delightful surprise!  They put the new seats in a few months ago, but we were in Phoenix in February and March, then stayed busy with doing medical appointments to get ready for my hip surgery, and then... yeah, the aftermath of that surgery.

We saw RocketMan, the Elton John biopic.  It wasn't as good as Bohemian Rhapsody; in fact, it felt a bit self-indulgent as far as "Oh, poor Elton."  It felt like it should be a Broadway musical; not that that it a bad thing... I just wasn't expecting the multiple song and dance routines.

But, the new seats were good.  ;-)


No comments: