Sunday, June 16, 2019

Happy Father's Day!


I won't get to see our daughter today.  The last time we got to spend Father's Day together was in 2008, when they came to visit us while we were working in Yellowstone.  While I would love to see her face-to-face, I carry her in my heart... everyday.

There is something special about being a Father... Dad... Pops.  It is a life-long endeavor, no matter the miles that separate you.  It makes you want to be a better man.  I take some time to reflect on those Dad moments.  I can't speak for all Dads, but my best memories are not just Dad and daugher... they are always with the 3 of us.  Because, without my lovely wife, I could not be the Dad I am.

The years as the protector.  The encourager.  The turn-her-loose-but-still-be-there years.  The prideful look-at-her-being-an-adult years.  Then, if you are fortunate enough to get a bunch of years, the reversal of roles, where she worries more about your welfare (because you know she can take care of herself).  The time that comes to mind was when we were on our boat, out of any kind of phone coverage... for longer than anticipated... and when I was able to call: "Where have you people been?  I was worried sick!"  (Kinda makes up for some of those teenager years.)

And most recently, when hip recovery wasn't going as fast or as smooth as I had hoped, the daily phone calls from my sweet girl.  It made a difference.

Like being a Dad... it makes a difference.


No comments: