Monday, June 10, 2019

I want to ride my bicycle...


... I want to ride my bike.  If you said, "Queen, 1978," you get 50 bonus points.

This morning, I went to the exercise room here at our resort.  Well, there are now two exercise rooms (one used to be the computer room)... as you might surmise, it has been a while since I visited the exercise room.  One has weight-lifting equipment, the other has bicycle type things, treadmills, and other assorted devices that I've never seen before.

No, I was not going there to exercise.  I would like to try one of our bikes, but I thought it might be a good idea to try one that doesn't move first.  The two bicycle-ish devices are more like a recumbent kinda thing.  I pulled something climbing on one.  Not "pulled" in the way that I pulled (or popped) a muscle before... just achy.  I lifted my feet into the stirrups and pedaled... yep, my legs go round and round.

Now that I know I can handle the pedaling, it is a matter of deciding which bike will work best for me at this time.  No way will I be doing the fat tire e-bike - it is too tall for my current condition.  I have an old folder that is rusting away: 20" tires and the seat isn't too tall.  I tried it on, and I can kinda touch the ground while sitting on the seat.  I will have to air up the tires and see if the chain will move.  One other option is Joan's beach cruiser; it's a girl's bike, so the step-through would be easiest.

Joan had gone to the store, and our jumper battery with the compressor (to air up the tires) is with her in the car.  Instead of messing further with the bike, I did my second walk for the day and my second set of exercises when I got home.  That's enough activity for now.

---------

When Joan got back from the store, I got the compressor out of the car and pumped up the tires on the bike.  In the heat and humidity.  (90º and 72% humidity)  I brought some lube out and loosened up the chain, and worked it into the gears.  The bike has been sitting outside since we got home from Phoenix... I considered putting it out on the street with a "free" sign on it, since it isn't getting used.  In my current situation, it should work for me.


I folded my cane and strapped it on the rack over the rear fender.  Took a deep breath and shoved off... the bike rolls, and I have no pain pedaling it.  I was almost giddy - this adds one more option for getting around for me.  I rode it to the end of our street... just a bit further than I am going on my current walks.  (Speaking of which, I am up to about a mile and a quarter with my 3 walks for the day.)  I am calling this endeavor a success.

My furry boy started my morning off nice: he gave me a head-butt while I was still in bed and laid down on my chest.  He must think I'm back to normal.  Later today, he was on his favorite spot on the back of the couch...


Look at those crossed front legs - the boy is such a poser.  Until he decides "No more photos!"...


Yeah, I'm kidding.  He's fine with being photographed.  That was just a big ol' yawn.  Pretty rare that this boy is anything but sweet.  I think he gets that from me.

;-)


No comments: