Monday, August 12, 2019

Are you making fun of my Vespa??



Out for a ride and lunch this afternoon.

I hooked the GoPro on the Vespa - empty sites as we were leaving Hart Ranch...


No doubt, those will fill back up as the day goes on; the crowd will change from folks here for the Rally to families getting that last bit of vacation in before the kids have to go back to school.

Joan, on the way out of Hart Ranch...


I was controlling the GoPro with my phone... and apparently hit something on there that turned on "time lapse"... looks like a bad Benny Hill clip...


I didn't mess with the camera the rest of the way to Custer... and, of course, today was the day that we saw 2 buffalo - one beside the road, the other right in our lane.  Yes, we had to go around him.  No, no photos.

It was a great ride down to Custer, and another fine burger.  Heading back, I reset the camera to take photos again...


We were having a fun ride - since I was a bit tired, I told Joan I planned to just "bop along," no aggressive riding through the curves.  Good thing, because we got behind this RV going through Custer State Park...


Turning onto Iron Mountain Road...



We stopped at the shop along the way that sells Iron Mountain Road paraphernalia.  As we pulled in, I saw a group of people that we had seen at Black Hills Burgers and Buns; they were on Harleys, and I saw one guy stand up and his wife put her hand over his mouth.  I walked over to that group and said, "You weren't making fun of my Vespa, were ya?"... doing my best tough guy persona.  They burst into laughter and pointed at the guilty party.

Now, for full disclosure, having seen these folks at the restaurant, I could see they were "dressed the part," but were harmless.

I walked up to the guy and said, "I've had 9 Harleys, how many Vespas have you had?"  More laughter... his group was having a riot watching him squirm.  They asked if I had taken the Vespa to Sturgis... "Would you bring your bikes here and NOT go to Sturgis?  Of course I took my Vespa to Sturgis!"  We talked and joked for a while.  No, I didn't get any photos.  Fun people - they were from Texas.

More curves on the way home...


You can play that time lapse clip backwards and you'll see how we went home.  ;-)

Two people stopped and asked about the Vespa while I was putting bikes away.  One guy has a Goldwing, but is having trouble getting a let over it.  I asked, "Are you holding your pant leg with your hand to help your leg over?"

"How did you know??"

"Yep, been there."  He winced when I told him I had a hip replacement 3 1/2 months ago and I could now get a leg over a bike again... if it had a low seat height.  We talked about scooters for a bit - he used to have a Honda Helix.  I didn't have to convince him on how much fun they are.

The other guy was one of the security people here.  He said, "Sure looks like you two have a lot of fun on those things..."

"Yep..."


No comments: