Thursday, December 5, 2019

A dilemma!


Quandary?  Conundrum?

It was a perfectly lovely day in the Tropical Tip.  I took the cover off the boat for the first time in over a week.  I have to confess: we have been more scooter-centric this season.  That doesn't mean we don't take the boat out - rather, we take the boat out on perfect days.  Today was a perfect day.

After lunch out at our favorite local Italian place, I prepped the boat, and we shoved off.

Yabut, what's the dilemma?  Thanks for asking.  We had the absolute best dolphin viewing of the season.  I don't say that lightly, because we have had some fine dolphin experiences since we've been home this season.  No, that isn't the dilemma.  The problem is: between the two of us, we took 230 photos.  We had an active group to ourselves for about an hour before George and Scarlet came on the scene with guests on their new boat.  Plenty of dolphin action to go around, and it is always fun to see (and hear) Scarlet interact with the dolphins.

We spent another half hour with the dolphins before heading for home.  After cleaning the boat and taking Rufus for a ride in his wagon, when I got back to the house, Joan had my computer and both cameras out on our deck - she wanted to see what we we captured today.  Me, too!

230 images narrowed down to 180.  I was tossing perfectly good dorsal fin photos (something that we would be happy to get 10 or 12 years ago).  It is easy for me to get carried away and post 40 to 50 images here in a single post... each brings back a happy memory... hard to toss 'em.

Really, my goal (before posting anything here) is to get it down to a dozen or so fun images.  Now, on to the editing.

---------

OK, a couple hours later, and I have culled it down to about 30 or so... and, have concerns that I have missed some other good ones.

It was about 10 minutes out of our canal when we saw the first sign of dolphins.  As I turned in that direction, they made a bee-line (dolphin-line?) for us...


"Hey, where have you guys been?"  That's what I was hearing.




That's a belly and upside down smile above.  Makes me smile.


They were very active today - such fun to watch them playing!



Belly above, faces below...







I like the symmetry of that image above.  And the playful group below...



Nice smile...






About that time, George and Scarlet came on the scene - with their new boat!


Another group came a calling...






Saying good-bye to our cetacean friends, and turning for home...



What a fun time!

----------

Scarlet and George Colley joined us for a while today.  Scarlet took these photos of our boat...



Nice keepsake for us - not easy to get photos of yourselves on your boat.  Scarlet (Dolphin Whisperer) and George have the Sea Life Center here in Port Isabel and both captain dolphin and bird watching boats. 

2 comments:

Kent said...

Thank you for your time and effort to edit and post these Pics.-- Awsome Shots..

How about some Video?

Maybe you could Captain some Charters for the Sea Life Center?
I've wondered in the past why you two aren't involved with that..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Kent - thanks for the kind words. I am quite content being gainfully unemployed and not having a schedule.

I have shot video from the boat a time or two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7pPSA2q0I&feature=youtu.be

But, that is WAY more work and editing. Using a GoPro or similar results in wide angle views that don't put you "up close and personal"... and the way we turn and shoot with still cameras would be uncomfortable to watch with a similar video view. With the number of photos we shoot, it might be hard to imagine, but we spend a lot of our time onboard just enjoying the views, not shooting, and saying to each other, "Did you see that?" ;-)

I enjoy sharing our day to day life here, but not looking for more work. It is about as much as I can keep up with being a trophy husband and cat wrangler.

Jim