Thursday, July 3, 2008

Exit letter...

As promised, here it is...


To Xanterra Personnel

Regarding: Exit interview for James and Joan Bathurst

I would like it to be known that we are not “disgruntled former employees”. We worked hard for this company and were regularly told by our managers that we were performing above expectations and were professional in the execution of our jobs.

I have no doubt that the management team at the marina was embarrassed by the blog (www.captnjim.blogspot.com) that I published. I only made things public after the situation got beyond reasonable. Had Wim told me that he was embarrassed and asked me man-to-man to remove the blog, I absolutely would have done so. When he made the repairs on the boat contingent on the removal or modification of my blog, it became a matter of coercion. For that, he should be more than embarrassed, he should be ashamed.

We constantly heard from that team: “Xanterra doesn’t care.” We refused to believe that... Xanterra is a corporation, it is the PEOPLE that can choose to care or not care. We met many Xanterra employees who do, indeed, care. We feel that this was used as an excuse to not get things done.

We were also told, “Don’t work so hard, you’ll work yourself out of a job.” Our work ethic is such that we will do the best work possible at any task. That is how we were able to retire in our early 50s: we ran successful businesses and created an atmosphere of pride and cooperation with our employees. We did not see either of those attributes being endorsed by the marina management team.

In spite of the general lack of enthusiasm and pride in the marina, the employees there do a good job. Imagine how much better it would be with proper training and guidance.

I have attached a copy of an e-mail sent to Wim 5 days prior to quitting this job. I gave him the opportunity to fire me; I was told that I was “a valuable employee and his most professional captain.” I also have attached a copy of suggested policy for training and minimum knowledge requirements for dockhands and first-mates. The marina had no written policy that was distributed amongst these employees. I was simply trying to help. When given guidance, people will try to do a good job... with no guidance, there will be no pride.

I submit these documents to show that we made an honest effort. I have no doubt that our departure will be put in a different light by the management team at the marina. Let me state that the marina is a wonderful addition to the services managed by Xanterra... it could certainly be more profitable and a much better workplace with proper guidance. People will work hard for leaders who show pride and a willingness to pitch in; just the opposite will be true when the leaders badmouth the company they work for, allow people to go improperly trained, ignore ringing telephones, and leave customers waiting.

I was once admonished for boarding passengers “2 minutes early.” Even though it was 3 minutes LATER than the published times. I felt it was rude to make passengers wait beyond the published times; management chose to move that time back with no regard for the time necessary to board or what times the guests were told... pointless rules like this were the norm. We actually changed boarding times THREE TIMES in one day. Pointless. And it certainly doesn’t serve the guest.

We don’t leave Yellowstone relieved to not be working for Xanterra; quite the opposite. We wanted to complete our time here, but felt that we had been put in a position to compromise our ethics. We are very disappointed in this experience.

Sincerely,
James and Joan Bathurst

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I have followed your adventures on C-Brats for some time and although I have not met you, I feel I know you.

Just want to send you a "Bravo Zulu".

Patrick

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Patrick. I would have preferred to finish our time in Yellowstone as planned, but frustration and empty promises were also not part of the plan. Live and learn, eh?