Sunday, November 29, 2009

Blowing Dirt Festival...

We left the Dallas area this morning at 8:00, heading WSW. We haven't been on this stretch of I-30 before; we were hoping it would be a change of pace and scenery from I-10 across west Texas. In the past, I have poked (some would say "in the eye") a bit of humor at the sparcely populated western 1/3 of the Lone Star State. Well, I-30 runs through Dallas and Ft. Worth, then merges with I-20... which ultimately merges with I-10 about 40 miles west of Pecos. So, the scenery is pretty much the same.

No matter the route, it's a looooooong driving trip across west Texas. One of the pokes I've made is the "Blowing Dirt Festival", and we timed it right for that once again. (It generally runs from Jan. 1st through Dec. 31st.)

It was in the 60s and humid when we left the Dallas area, but the temp dropped all day, settling in the low 40s and blustery most of the day. Occasional spitty rain. Our fuel mileage went from around 10.5 mpg on the first tank to 8.5 on the second... we feel those quartering headwinds, right in the fuel tank. We pulled into the Escapees campground just before dusk, and were treated to the cold wind while setting up for the night (and, blowing dirt).

The forecast for the night and tomorrow is cold, windy, and a 60% chance of precip... some of which may be of the white variety (I can't bring myself to say the "s" word). Looks like more of the same for the next two days along our route.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Be careful out there. I've heard there's snow in El Paso.