Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Sunrise...

A salute to our Veterans - your service and sacrifices are appreciated by all who enjoy the freedom and opportunity that defines this country.

---------------------------------------

I was up and out at O-Dark thirty this morning. It’s been a while since I’ve taken sunrise photos on the water.

Going through the Port Isabel Turning Basin on the way out, I had the opportunity to see one of the town’s newest enterprises up close: this is a ship that services the pipelines out in the Gulf. Kinda pretty all lit up at night.


From there, it was down the ship channel and out through the jetties. Tropical Storm Ida is making a mess with rains in the southeastern US; we are still feeling the residuals of her movement through the Gulf, with higher than normal tides and waves. Before I even got to the jetties, the swell was about 4 feet. As I motored further out, the wave action seemed to moderate and then increase. By the time I was at the opening to the jetties, the waves were 6 to 8 feet, coming from the northeast.



Widely spaced, the waves weren’t a problem for Wild Blue, but you certainly felt the power as they rolled under the boat. Just outside the jetties, and with no protection, the waves were 10+ feet. I’m guessing it will be a good surfing day on South Padre Island!

No comments: