Monday, August 9, 2010

A new old friend...

My day started off pretty typically, with the breakfast cruise. It was a beautiful morning. Nice folks on the cruise. By noon, the weather started to deteriorate. We had two boats for the 1:30 cruise. My first mate, Mikey, was back on the job today, but still wasn't 100%... his voice was going fast. After about 20 minutes, I let him drive and I did the narration again. We made it back to the dock just before the rain started.

I closed windows in the boat and made it almost all the way down the dock when I got a call from the assistant manager: one kayak was out, a mother and young boy, no kayaking experience, thunder and lightning... "would you go out on a search for them?" Absolutely. I brought one of the dock hands along and we took off with the rescue boat. We found them on the shore in one of the coves, a little scared but just fine. We loaded them and the kayak into the boat and brought them back to the marina. They both had a great attitude about the situation, and felt pretty good about how they had done with the kayak... until the weather turned ugly. They were grateful for the rescue.

After we got them back, I went into the store... and got to meet a TrailerSailor friend that I've corresponded with for years. We've never met in person, so this was a treat. Tim and I visited for a while, before I had to deal with the next situation: more thunderstorm cells on radar and 75 guests for the dinner cruise. Management decided it would be best to cancel the cruise... a tough call, but the wise choice as it turned out. There was some blue sky at what would have been our departure time, but more thunderstorms rolled through shortly after.


Tim and his wife will be joining us on tomorrow's breakfast cruise, so we'll have some time to visit.

No comments: