Monday, August 16, 2010

Singing in the rain...

No, dining in the rain...

Tonight, I had a group of RVers on the dinner cruise. Mother Nature isn't always kind, and tonight she rained on us... while we were trying to serve dinner. Oh, and then it hailed. People were holding trays over their heads. I did my best to be a "cheerleader" for the folks on my boat, and I have to say they all had a sense of humor and a great spirit of adventure. We came back to the boat, I told stories and did my best to keep the folks entertained... while waiting to see if the cooks could get dessert (cobbler) hot... in the rain. And then I got the call that dessert wasn't going to happen; the rain had ruined it. My guests could have been pissy, but they were very understanding and appreciated how hard we all worked to give them this experience. We were all soggy, but it was a pretty special evening.

I try to impart to the young people in the marina how this may be a once-in-a-lifetime visit for our guests, and how it's up to us to make it memorable for them. I love boats, I love this place, and I really want the guests to get a feel for how special it all is. And these folks tonight got it. Really nice people.

RVers seem to have that in common with boat people.

No comments: