Sunday, August 14, 2011

Moonset and Sunrise...


What a spectacular morning! I was in early to prep the cruise boat and was treated to a full moon setting over the Tetons...


There were quite a few people with cameras set up in the marina area when I walked down the dock. While I am no doubt biased about the marina being one of the prettiest places in this park, it was pretty obvious that I am not alone. Especially with the full moon.

When I got to the cruise boat, there was a couple out on that finger dock; they started to leave as I boarded the boat. I told them, "You sure don't have to leave on my account. Stick around a few more minutes and you will see the first light hit the mountain peaks."

"We don't want to be in your way," she said.

"You are certainly not in my way. It's a treat to share the dock with someone who appreciates the beauty of this and is willing to get up early to capture it," I told her.

And just a few minutes later...


It never gets old. Look close at the image above, and you will see the moon right at the top of the mountain on the right.

Nice way to start the day.

It was a long driving day for me... starting with a breakfast cruise, 3 more scenic cruises, and ending with the dinner cruise. It was a beautiful day, but hard to top the views from early morning.

3 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Gorgeous. That was the "Sturgeon Moon" according to Farmers Almanac. We watched it rise on Saturday night here in VA through the smoke from the fire in the Great Dismal Swamp. Picture on my FB wall! Two full moons in a month make the second one a "Blue Moon", wonder what a simultaneous sunrise and full moon set are called??

Keith Bennett said...

GREAT shot. Because we both have a love of the Tetons in common I share this with you:
http://www.keithbennett.org/National-Parks/Grand-Teton-National-Park/11361577_RjqZn#808449516_HHGdw-A-LB

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Charlie and Keith. Nice images from both of you! Guess the moon (and the starts) brings the creative side, huh?

Best wishes,
Jim