Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rock 'N Roll...


Our last work day of what seemed like the longest week, yet. Fortunately, all I had to do was drive a boat all day. It was another typical day, weather-wise... for most of the day. Before our 6:30 Sunset Cruise, a check of radar showed that we were definitely going to get some weather before we could get back to the marina.

We had 2 foot waves on the way south out of the marina, but that leveled out nicely when we got in the lee of Elk Island. Coming around to the south of the island, it was more rock ‘n rolling. Heading to Moran Bay, we could see the storm clouds coming at us...


My first mate and narrator, Terry, had to hold on to one of the posts in the boat... one hand for you, one for the microphone... or something like that.


It wasn’t bad, some wind, spray, and wave action. I told the guests that we were throwing in the whitewater trip at no additional charge!

On the way back to the marina, storm caught up with us... I was watching in on radar on my Droid, so there was no doubt that it was moving faster than we were. Truth be told, I was having a lot of fun with the ride. Looking back over my shoulder, I could see the guests were having fun with it, too - no one had a death grip on the seat back in front of them.

By the time we got back to Colter Bay, the wind had gotten a lot stronger and changed directions... surf’s up, Dude! The marina is normally well protected, but we had a lot of wind as we came to the dock. I kinda enjoyed the challenge of making that arrival look good. As usual, Joan was on the dock to catch lines... but with the strong wind, our off-duty captain came to the dock to assist, as well.

We had two boats for this cruise. Since we got back first, I went to the other boat to help with lines... we all have each others’ back with our captain crew.

This is Tuesday, which is our “Friday”... we’re both looking forward to a couple days off.

No comments: