Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Been a while...


Yep, it's been a while since I've posted sunrise photos. I was up at 5:40 this morning, fed the cat, got Joan's coffee-maker ready, checked weather (clear sky, wind less than 5 mph, 67ยบ); the TV weather weasels said, "A chance of coastal fog..." Lots of twinkling stars when I rotated away from the dock.

It was still dark when I turned into the ship channel, only boat I saw out there was a small bait shrimper. As the sky began to get lighter, I took this shot inside the cabin...


The glow of the instruments and the sky slowly gaining light... I enjoy this time of day. As I made my way down the ship channel, enroute to the Gulf to watch the sunrise, the roar of big engines disturbed the peaceful setting. I could see a crewboat coming up behind me fast. It was kicking a huge wake; I expected a slow pass... I was wrong. They were making time; I turned Wild Blue into their wake and continued slowly down the channel.

By now, it was light enough that I could see some dolphins swimming, but not light enough to photograph them. These pelicans swept by...


I guess I was running too slow - I didn't make it to the Gulf to see the sun begin to break the horizon...


That is the silhouette of the Boca Chica area, just south of South Padre Island. Into the jetties area...


Then, putting the rising sun behind me...


On the way back into the ship channel, I could see the ceiling dropping over the island...


That condo complex in the center of the image goes up another 10 stories or so; looks like the fog is, indeed, moving in.

I saw a small boat launch from the Isla Blanca Park ramp; he blew by me like I was standing still. Within 5 minutes, the visibility went from unlimited to less than 1/4 mile... and that same boat blew by me the other direction, heading back to the ramp!


Good plan - another 2 minutes and the visibility was down to less than 100 feet...


Radar and chartplotter led the way, with the timed horn blast and a position report on a securite' call. I can't remember the last time I saw fog this thick here. When I got back to the turn for our canals, the visibility was less than 50 feet... if not for the radar, I never would have found it.

As I slowly motored up the canal, the fog began to lift - 100 feet... then 200 feet...


I gave Joan a call to let her know I was on my way back in; she took these from our deck...


She said, "Right before you called, I couldn't see across the canal. I was beginning to wonder where you were. Bet you're ready for some breakfast?"

Nice.

2 comments:

andwilliesaid said...

Wow! Fog vs Wild Blue, and Wild Blue wins!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

It wasn't winning... we "danced." ;-) Good to have nav gear, or I may have had to "sit out" that dance. How's things on your side of town?