Thursday, June 19, 2014

Best. Day. Ever!


Well, let's go with: the absolute best day at work, this season.  So far.  ;-)

It was chilly with occasional spitting drizzle this morning.  I debated whether to take the truck or the scooter to work (yeah, working out of Roche Harbor today, so it means driving to work, not walking).  At the last minute, I decided to take the scooter.  It was 51º, and I did get a few raindrops on my helmet shield right after I left... but, the road was mostly dry and hardly any traffic.  A nice ride.

While prepping the boat, I checked for whale reports... nothing.  Then, a half hour before departure, I got the first one: a couple whales at the south end of Lopez Island, heading west.  Not a good thing; it's a long ways to go, and if the whales are heading west, it usually means they are heading out the Strait of Juan de Fuca and into the Pacific.  Still, it was a start.

Right before departure, another report: a group of whales (group is good) south of Victoria, heading east.  East is good.

Hmmmmm... whales heading west and whales heading east.  Nobody was saying anything about a couple pods coming together, but I had hope.  Then, two reports of whales just outside Cattle Pass, "looking like they might go up San Juan Channel."  That could happen, but usually doesn't.  I decided to head down the west side of the island... this is where it is like playing chess: make the right moves and you win; make the wrong moves and you lose.  The eastbound whales were reportedly moving fast... as in 15 knots.  I think I made the right move: I was counting on those two groups of whales coming together.

On the way south, solid reports: the eastbound whales are L-Pod; the westbound whales are J-Pod.  Checkmate!

We came on the scene in Haro Strait in time to see the two groups come together... yes, a greeting ceremony!  Kinda like a whale square dance.  The REALLY bad news: I didn't bring a camera with me.  So, here are photos from my phone (and you know that phone photos don't measure up to a good point & shoot or a DSLR with some zoom capability)...





The above photo was off the stern of our boat.  We had whales all around us!




A momma and baby above.

A Law Enforcement boat that was tucked right behind us...


Happy guests on the bow of the boat...


It truly was a very special day - more whales than I've seen any other day this season.  Lots of activity: at least a dozen breaches, spy hops, tail slaps, belly rolls, pectoral slaps, etc.  You couldn't turn your head fast enough to see all the activity!

We work diligently to maintain the proper viewing distance from the whales (and that's why law enforcement is out there).  When a whale deviates from their path and surfaces too close to the boat, the slang that the captains use is "getting mugged."  There were more "muggings" today than a holiday weekend in New York City.  ;-)


No comments: