Sunday, June 1, 2014

Busman's Holiday...


No, I didn't get a job driving a bus.

If you aren't familiar with that phrase: A holiday in which you spend most of your time doing the same or something very similar to your normal work.

I had the day off today... well, mostly - Joan gave me a hand removing the canvas on one of the company boats this morning.

We have friends coming in today - Randy and Cindy are our neighbors in Texas.  Yes, the ones who have the catamaran.  Yes, the catamaran that lost its mast 2 months ago.  They are up here on business, and arranged to spend a day whale watching.  They booked the trip way before Joan and I started work, with the thought that I would be working today.  So, I rode along with them on their whale watch trip.




I met the ferry to get Randy and Cindy, while Joan held us a table at a restaurant across the street; a restaurant with a nice view of the harbor... we wanted to be sure they got some of the Friday Harbor experience.  With brunch done, we went to our office and picked up their boarding passes.  Time for a few minutes looking over the marina, then we boarded the boat.


There was a good report for whales today - I was happy to hear that, since Randy and Cindy have been hearing our whale stories for several years.

It felt a bit odd being on the other side of the safety orientation, then sitting down while the boat left the dock.  You might thing: nice that you get to kick back and enjoy the trip... but, I would enjoy it even more being at the helm.  I did enjoy the sight-seeing.  Heading north, we came across some bald eagles...



The report on the whales put them where they would be easy to reach.  I expected a bunch of boats to be on the scene... nope.  A half dozen boats, and quite a bit of J-Pod foraging...



The naturalist, Heather (the one who was on my boat yesterday), explained to the guests how she identifies the whales...


A double spy hop...


... that I almost caught.  ;-)  And a nice breach...


... that would have been impressive if it was in focus.

Whales all over...




Randy and Cindy got to experience a great viewing.  When it was time to head for the dock, I noticed that Mike (the captain) continued heading east when we came to San Juan Channel.  I poked my head in the helm and asked, "What's up?"

"Transient whales just off Disney Point."

Nice - residents to start the trip, transients to finish the trip - a very unusual occurrence, since they generally aren't both in the area at the same time.



Some nice views of transients!

The trip ran long.  I knew Randy and Cindy were planning to catch the 4:15 ferry... it was going to be close.  I let them know there was another ferry two hours later - just in case.

We made it back to the dock as they were beginning to board the walk-on passengers on the ferry... didn't get there quite in time to board before they started with the cars, so we had a few minutes to visit, and they were able to get on after the cars.  They are staying at a motel in Anacortes, very close to the ferry landing... a full, but easy day for them today.  I let them know what a unique day it was, getting to see resident and transient Orcas on the same trip - that has only happened one other time for me.  I was delighted they were here to see this.

We didn't get to show them much of Friday Harbor, but Randy is definitely a boat guy and was enjoying the views around the marina.

Hugs good-bye and "See you in October!"


No comments: