Sunday, June 29, 2014

My Honey is good...


Not talking about the stuff bees make.

Joan usually has to go into work a lot earlier than I do; she generally opens the office on the days she works.  Most days, I don't have to go in until noonish, for afternoon trips.  I have a late charter this evening, so we won't see much of each other today.

I walked up to the store this morning to get her a donut ('cause she didn't have breakfast this morning).  She was training one of the new naturalists how the front desk operates.  While I was there, a young woman came in and said, "I'm here to check in for my trip today."  When Joan asked her name, the woman curtly told her and added, "a party of three."

Joan is very organized.  She has boarding passes ready for the day.  At a glance, she can see the names, number in the party, and which boat they're on.  Joan nicely said, "I don't see that name on our passenger list.  Would it be under a different name, or perhaps with a different company?"

The woman snidely said, "I think I know where I scheduled my trip."

Joan then very politely explained to the woman that there are several companies with similar sounding names, and added, "We'd love to have you ride with us today."

The woman pulled her phone out and said, "It is with you people.  I have it right here..." then paused while she realized she had made a mistake.  "I'll have to check into this further."

Joan nicely told her, "If we can direct you or help in any way, please let me know."

I saw the astonished look on the trainee's face.  Joan told her, "That happens almost every day.  The company names sound similar, and the place next door to us frequently doesn't have anyone there to man that office - just a sign on the door telling people to walk up the street to another office.  Sometimes people take it out on us because the other company doesn't staff their waterfront office.  You just have to be friendly and try to help them."

Joan is good.  Oh, and I did see that woman show her phone to the people she was with, then go into a different place.  The other company picked a name that sounds like ours, and made a logo that looks very similar to ours.  I understand the occasional confusion.  I don't understand the snide.  Joan takes it all in stride; she is a very good representative for this company.


No comments: