Thursday, December 11, 2014

Testicles, optic nerves, and a transformer...

The theme for a new movie?  No.

It was a lovely start to the day...



Pretty light first thing in the morning.

After our usual morning routine, I settled in for some practice with a guitar.  Joan asked, "Did you look carefully in all the drawers for a wall wart thingy that will fit?"

I could say, "Yes," but... I am a guy.  Even if I look carefully, I miss things.  It is not lack of effort, it is simple physiology.  Men and women are designed differently.  Not just the obvious fun parts.  We are wired differently.  I linked to a post on Facebook that talked about how men have "little boxes for all the things in their memory, but the favorite box is our 'Nothing' box."  We really can think about "nothing."  Happily.

Another way the sexes are wired different is in the optical nerve: men have a direct wire that runs through their testicles, wraps around the optic nerve, then goes to the brain.  Because of the weight of the testicles pulling on that nerve, we can sometimes look at "something" and see "nothing."

A couple examples: a woman will ask, "Did you see her shoes?"  Unless they are six inch stilettos several feet below a short skirt... we did not see shoes.  We may have been aware that there were feet and there may have been something on those feet... but, the appearance of the shoes did not make it past the optical nerve and into the brain.

If we are looking for something in a drawer, unless there is a large red arrow pointing to the item, those pesky testicles blank out our ability to see the item.  Oh, we might say, "There's the pocket knife I was looking for last month!"  Yes, the same pocket knife that would couldn't find last month.  Testicles to optic nerve - not our fault.

So, you don't have to be Columbo to figure out where this is going.

Amongst the several dozen wall wart transformers, we have one that is multi-functional.  It can be switched to different voltage and there are several plug/connectors that attach to it.  I found the connectors yesterday - damn testicles completely blanked out the sizeable transformer.  Physiology.  Can't be helped.  Those who were born without testicles cannot, or will not, understand this.

But, I digress.  Joan found the transformer.  Paraded it around my guitar room... demonstrated how you can switch between the different voltages... showed me the variety of connectors.  My gaze lowered... not out of shame.  No, I looked down at the boys and said, "Not your fault.  It's the way we're wired."  My testicles nodded in agreement.  Again, if you have no testicles, you may think I am making all this up.  Au contrare.

Digressing again.

With the proper transformer, I hooked up the looper...


It's the little footswitch on the left.  The other one is my vocal harmonizer.  The description of the looper in the sales piece said, "Simple to operate."  One footswitch; one knob for relative volume.  That one footswitch has to work for: record, play, over-dub, play some more, stop, erase.  Just depends on: tap... tap again... two quick taps... two taps and hold.  There is a learning curve; not one of those "pull it out of the box and you're ready to use it in public" kinda things.

Timing counts.

I did lay down a rhythm verse of chords so I could play lead over the top of that.  Pretty cool.  And did I mention: I didn't even have to go out and buy a transformer?!

;-)


8 comments:

MarkJ said...

I've never read anything so true!!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Those without nads may think I'm making this up... I will be submitting an article for JAMMA (Journal of the Made-up Medical Association stuff). ;-)

Dreamer said...

Thank you for not posting any depictions or photos of "The Wire"

rtportner said...

Me and my boys enjoyed the story. Tell Joan we said hello.

Dave said...

You lost me after ....They nodded in agreement.....Now I have a visual that burnt my optic nerve. Thank You. My Therapist really Thanks You!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Dave - do NOT BURN that nad-eyeball nerve!! You will really scare yourself with all you SEE!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Russ, by "we", you meant you and Toni... right? ;-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

You're welcome, Roger. You'll have to wait for the illustrations in our Christmas newsletter! ;-)