Sunday, September 17, 2017

Dropping in the rankings...


No, not this campground.  The guy who owns IKEA dropped from the 11th richest person in the world to #162.  "How can that be?" you ask... Kamprad willingly lost the money, after his lawyers proved that money in his Lichtenstein-based foundation -- which owns IKEA -- does not count toward his personal wealth, according to Forbes Magazine.

Which brings us to today's post: Joan loves IKEA.  Even if there is nothing she has in mind for purchasing, she likes to walk through there "to get ideas."  I love Joan.  I consider an outing to IKEA to be indoor exercise and the opportunity to laugh at the names of items.  Also, the people watching is almost as entertaining as playing People of Walmart Bingo.

We don't have an IKEA near us at home, but there is one quite close to this campground.


We went out for breakfast at a nearby restaurant (yes, I know they serve breakfast at IKEA), timing it so we'd be able to stroll through the store not long after they open.  For those who have never been in an IKEA, they are about a million square feet, generally on two stories (this was all on one), and set up like a maze where you are "directed" through every display in the store.  I think we walked about 15 miles through this particular store, but I could be off by a mile or two... I'm just judging by how tired my feet were at the end of the excursion.  But, I digress.

First displays: living room furniture.  Apparently, Swedes are normal size people who have especially long torsos, short legs from the feet to the knees, then long legs from the knees to the hips... at least that is how many of their couches and chairs feel to me.  Again, Joan likes 'em...



Perhaps the dumbest looking chair in the place...


Let the "Parade of Names" begin...


"Where could I use this?"


"Look!  It's a surfboard for Izzy!"


It doesn't seem right to treat the tramp like a doormat...


Speaking of doormats, this one is creepy...


I Googled it - washers and dryers in Sweden are apparently made of cardboard...


If it isn't a floor uplight, then what is it??


I don't wanna know...


Once you think you are almost through the store, you come to the area where the big items are stacked on shelves...


If you did it right, you have a list of all the different Snarkenflagels written out, and this is where you find them.

Then, you pass into a large area full of small stuff you didn't know you needed.  Take my word for it, they do NOT want you to throw the EIVOR...


"Go long!"

Standing in line for a check out is more fun people watching.  It was apparent that some people are furnishing their entire homes in one trip.  There are worn out kids, frustrated parents, and many people with that look of anticipation that only comes from dreaming about assembling stuff.

We did find a few small things - I am ever hopeful that I will find a comfortable pillow among their vast array.  "What is that thing?"... "I don't know, but it was only $2.99!"  Since I was on my best behavior in our urban hike (lots of tragically hip people in there, and I hardly pointed any of it out), I was rewarded with ice cream at the end of it.

Hey, even the rat gets some cheese when he successfully makes it through the maze!

;-)

Before coming back to the coach, we picked up a few grocery items at HEB.  HEB is our Texas grocery chain... we love HEB!  This particular store was HUGE and very nice... now, it really feels like we are back in Texas!


2 comments:

MartyP said...

I haven't laughed so hard since I saw Mickey Rooney and Ann Miller on Broadway and I almost fell out of the balcony. I'm trying to explain to Dotty why I'm laughing so hard. Between being unable to catch my breath and the pain in my side, I can't speak and I can barely point to your pictures.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Glad I was able to add some levity to your day, Marty. Thanks for writing that note - made my day. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who tags along to IKEA for the entertainment value. ;-) On the really bright side, we didn't buy anything that needs to be assembled!