Thursday, June 5, 2008

It's Official...

It was a busy day today. Joan had the day off and made a run into Cody for groceries and other supplies. It's just over 80 miles to Cody... and a Super Wal-Mart, Pizza Hut, Subway, Sierra Trading Outlet, and a host of other real stores. I had a 3 hour practical test this morning... first an oral on the boat, explaining the equipment and procedures, then on-the-water: docking, marina maneuvering, high speed maneuvering, emergency procedures including a man-overboard recovery. It was as thorough as any flight check-ride I've taken. Earlier this week, I passed the Park Service/Department of the Interior written test. I am now officially certified as a Scenic Cruise Operator/Captain. I already hold a US Coast Guard Masters License, but the Park Service requirements are a bit different.

The marina is getting busier each day. This afternoon we took Park Service Interpretive Rangers on the cruise route so they could train some narrators. We explained where we'd be slowing, stopping, pointing out features, and coordinating the cruise with their narration. Tomorrow we will have the boat full of employees on 4 cruises so they can see what the scenic cruise is all about, and Saturday we start with customer cruises. I was surprised to find out that Saturday's cruises are booked full with a stand-by list.

If the last few days are any indication, it's going to be a busy summer. Next week we will start our regular schedule with 3 1/2 day work weeks. I am enjoying running the Lake Queen, but we are also looking forward to time off to explore the area in more depth.

1 comment:

Randy Frye said...

Captain Jim, I found your blog while surfing on blogger.com. My family and I are coming to Yellowstone in late June. perhaps we'll catch the scenic boat tour. Have a great summer!