Saturday, June 14, 2008

Superstitious?

I am generally not a superstitious guy... but yesterday was Friday the 13th. It was a long day at work - I did 7 cruises then took the boat to the shop dock for some maintenance.

But what a glorious day: the sun was shining and it made it up to the 50s! (My how my perspective has changed, after all that snow the last two weeks). You could see every mountain ringing the lake, including Mt. Washburn to the north and the Tetons to the south... over 80 miles apart.

On one of the afternoon trips, while in the middle of the lake, the interpreter I had onboard said, "Look, a fire!" I gotta tell you, that got my attention! After my head snapped back, I could see that she was pointing to the north - a plume of smoke behind the Lake Yellowstone Hotel. I immediately called it in on the radio, giving location and wind. By the time we were headed back north on that trip, the plume of smoke was greatly diminished. Later that afternoon, we heard that the fire had been intentionally set on one of the hiking trails... about 1/4 mile from employee dorms in that area. I will never understand the nature of a person who could do something like this. Fortunately, the fire was quickly extinguished.

The rest of the day was uneventful, but beautiful. It was a treat to see how the light changes the beautiful views as the sun made its run from east to west.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Looking forward to lots more... knock on wood. ;-)

No comments: