Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another day, end with spray...

The spill was handled and is a done deal; even the booms have been pulled in and put away. A long day of boat driving today, finishing off with the sunset cruise. When we left the marina, there were clouds over the mountains, but the lake was nearly calm. 45 minutes later, on the west side of the lake, I could see the first wind rippled coming at us from the north... and white caps in the distance. With the direction we would have to take to head back to the marina, I could see we were going to take this wind on the port beam. I told the 1st mate to bring in the people who were sitting outside on the aft deck and asked passengers on the port side to please close their windows. Less than a minute later, that side of the boat was getting a LOT of spray and wind waves. One lady asked if I was psychic, and I told her, "No, more like psychotic." ;-) Being a sailor sure helps you read the wind, and I could see that we were in for some rock 'n rollin' before it hit.

The passengers all had a good attitude about it... I told them we weren't going to charge them anything extra for "the white water ride." Once we were near Colter Bay, we were into more protected water and things calmed down quickly. There was still plenty of wind as we came in to the dock, but no wave action. And as usual on my late cruises, my Honey was at the dock to grab dock lines for us. Nice way to finish off the day.

No comments: