Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New York in the Tetons...

It's been a few days since I've updated anything. We picked up an iPad last week, and it required an update of our Mac operating system. And that's when the problems began... Roll Eyes I did back up all my data on the old OS, but forgot to do anything with my extensive list of favorites for websites. As you might expect, there was a problem with installing the new OS and I had to do a full erase of the hard drive. Scary procedure, but once started, you're pretty much committed. Or, should be committed. Wink It will take me days (not much free time right now) to rebuild/rediscover all the saved favorites. BUT, the photos and writing were all archived/saved, and that's a big plus.

This has been a long tough week at work. 4 of my 5 days this week have been "13s" (yeah, 13 hour days). The guests, as usual, have been great, plenty of mechanic stuff to deal with. I can now add "kayak repairman" and "bilge crawler" to my resume. Roll Eyes Last night, we had 56 young guests from the NYC area... all boys in some sort of boy scout program. A few of them made some less than respectful comments to my female first mate prior to the trip, so I had to have a "discussion" with them. Their leader took exception to me telling them that it is necessary to "BE NICE." He, several of his helpers, and I had a rather face-to-face (as in: in your face) discussion... and the New York gentlemen came to understand that this Texas boy was just as tough and wasn't going to put up with any crap on the boats. I don't like starting a cruise like that, but 56 boys (12 to 20) away from home and without much adult supervision could easily get out of control. Not on my boat! angry

There was the "I want your name" comments, to which I responded AND spelled it, and explained how this WAS going to go down. Add in some big wind and waves, 19 other passengers who weren't part of the group... and it all turned out fine. In fact, their leader shook my hand, told me that I handled the situation well, and left a very nice tip for the boat crews. I'm glad that everyone wound up happy, but it isn't much fun to start a long evening that way.

So, today is my "Friday"... another 13 hours and we'll be looking forward to a couple days off. smiley

No comments: