Monday, July 12, 2010

Rockin' and Rollin'

Nothing to do with music... on tonight's dinner cruise, the wind was really kicking. I checked weather right before we went out: 28 gusting to 34. Colter Bay is very protected, but the waves were rolling when we came out of the bay; spray was pounding on the windshield. When we got to the dock at Elk Island, the wind had the dock really moving. One cruiseboat was being pushed against the dock, the other (the one I was driving) was being pushed away from the dock. It took 4 of us to wrestle the boat up to the dock so passengers could disembark.

The supply boat on my side of the dock left us with very little room. The other captain and I moved the supply boat and had a heck of workout trying to get my cruiseboat tied off. I decided to skip the meal and stay with the boats... the wind was gusting above 30, the waves were coming over the dock, and all the dock lines were straining. After the other captain ate, he came to keep an eye on the boats so I could get a bite. The chef held a steak for me; even wrapped it in bacon. I ate fast and went back to the boats.

When it was time to board passengers, I had both first mates, the other captain, and the Elk Island wrangler help hold the boat and assist passengers onboard. We brought them on a few at a time... with the dock bucking, everyone was very careful and we had no incidents. When they undid dock lines, it took full power to back off into the wind and waves.

The ride back to the marina was less "stimulating", and everyone onboard kept their humor. It was pretty exciting for the passengers to see an elk swimming between Dollar Island and Elk Island. Back at the marina, the passengers gave me a big round of applause... and some nice tips. I felt like I had been put through the wringer... not with the boat driving, but with all the work at the island dock, trying to keep the boats from whacking.

After getting the passengers ashore, the first mate said to me, "That was awesome! I've been doing this for two years and that was the most fun I've had!" Interesting perspective... I was thinking: that was the most work I've done in a long time. ;-)

No comments: