Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A hot time...

No, I won't be talking about Joan and I on "date night"... another hot (in the 80s), windy (gusting in the 30s) day in the Tropical Tip. I went out this morning for some boat cruising; the wind had kicked up, ahead of the predicted timing. Still, it was a fine time out on the water.


The only project scheduled for today was a shelf in Wild Blue. Should be easy enough: measure 3 times (it's a boat, there are very few straight lines), cut once. When I went out to the trailer to get my skill saw, I discovered that the motorcycle was leaned WAY over... to the point that gas was leaking out of the tank. Not fun. So, the shelf got put on hold while I dealt with the bike... and aired the gas smell out of the trailer.

Back to the task at hand, I cut some decra-guard for the shelf, put some teak trim on the front and got it mounted into place (after Joan cleaned up the decra-guard... it had some sticky tape that had been on it for years). I glued a block of wood in the boat, mounted it in place for support... and the shelf fit.

Back to the bike - it only seemed fitting to take it for a spin to blow the gas smell off of it. Coming back, there were a bunch of dredge vessels coming through our swing bridge, so I knew it was going to be a while before it would close again. I rode up to a boat salvage place to ask about a boat that has been sitting on the hard for years... an interesting old trawler that didn't look bad from the water. The owner said, "There's a ladder on the other side, go take a look."

The boat was WAY beyond a fixer upper... into the category of major project. Oh well, I had the time... and I did just make a shelf. ;-) On the bright side, I got to play with a boat, a motorcycle, and power tools... in mid December.

No comments: