Thursday, December 8, 2011

Parts installed...

It has been a scant 4 years since I had to replace a wiper motor on the boat. As I recall last time, it was a 3 day project with bloody knuckles, and mass usage of swear words. Much easier this time... I knew where to look for the set screws on the wiper arm, and after only a half hour of trying to pull the arm off, I just went after the wiper motor shaft with a Sawzall... much faster than the last time when I tried using a hacksaw and burned up a Dremel getting that shaft cut. My replacement Dremel has the 90ยบ grip and doesn't fit under the brow for a good cut angle. Sawzall good, ugh, ugh.

Copious amounts of WD-40 and working at it with vice grips, and the end of the shaft still won't come out of the wiper arm. So, to complete this little job, I need to order another pantographic wiper arm.

The replacement of the linking arm connecting the hydraulic steering and the autopilot was straightforward. When I took the old parts off, I saw that one of the shoulder washers (plastic) was broken... very likely that the broken section put extra pressure on that linking arm, causing it to flex and break. So, it was a good thing that "the kit" came with that stuff. Still, $50 + shipping + tax seems high for that linking arm, a few nyloc nuts, some other small bits, and a couple hose clamps.

On the bright side, it was a lovely day to work outside on the boat... OK, it would have been an even better day to be out cruising on the boat... upper 60s (a little shy of normal), mostly sunny (until late afternoon) and very little wind (one in a row!).

No comments: