Thursday, August 30, 2012

It's time...

You can take that any ol' way.  After a wonderful breakfast (bacon and sausage), I wondered what our lunch plan would be.  We've both eaten enough cold sandwiches to hold us for a very long time... we each grab lunch on the job when we can.  This is the first captain job I've had where I can eat while driving (just like driving our own boat ;-) ).  We both had the same idea for lunch today: Cousin Vinnie's Pizza; just like being in New York: a slice and some attitude.

As usual on our day off, it's time to take a short ride around to the pump out.  I have spent the season being very vigilant as I come and go from the marina.  There is hardly a day that goes by when I don't see some example of someone at the helm of a boat being stupid or negligent... small boats that cut in front of me, then turn in front of the ferry... big boats where the driver apparently feels size over-rules the Rules of the Road.  The other professional captains out there are great; problems are rare.  They don't come into or out of the marina at full speed, rolling every boat in the place.  They don't play "chicken."

And before someone asks, it's sailboat and powerboat drivers.  Today, as we were trying to get into the opening of the marina (to get to the pump out), a large powerboat pulled across that opening, and then proceeded to make a 270º rotation.  Taking his sweet time.  With boats stacking up trying to get out, and more boats stacking up trying to get in.  A 90º turn would have gotten him going the direction he wanted much quicker - as far as I could tell, he just wanted everyone to see how he could handle his boat.  That was followed by two sailboats heading out at something less than idle power; and then proceeding to stop in nearly the same place to put away fenders and lines.  Causing more boats to stack up.  Yep, it's time.

We stopped in the office where we work so I could check tomorrow's schedule; I may have a second trip.  I asked the boss lady if I could buy a coat through them like the one I've been wearing all season.  I looked it up on the internet, and they apparently only sell personalized (company name) and in quantities.  I offered to buy the one I've been wearing, if they'll be updating jackets.  She said, "Well, I'm sure we can work something out.  I guess that depends on if you'll be coming back."

I said, "Next week or next year?"  We've been doing that "Will you/won't you" dance as our time here gets short.  They could really use Joan for another month, but they would only have sporadic trips for me.  Joan let them know that we are "a set."  Besides, she knows how much I'd miss her if I had to leave her behind! ;-)  Joking, of course - she agrees that it's time.

The weather looks promising for the next 10 days; I hope it holds out a lot longer than that.


No comments: