Wednesday, August 22, 2012

From a baked potato to Superman!

Hair cut day today.  I have to work, Joan doesn't.  I keep telling Joan that she is the favorite, since she is the only one in the place that gets two days off this week... and, it's two days in a row!

She was going to cut my hair a few days ago, but I got called in early... of course, it was to deal with the head situation on the boat.  So, today was the first chance for a hair cut.  It's warm today, so I managed to talk her out of the silver space blanket.  She suggested I put on "yesterday's" shirt, so I could shake it out on the dock before getting back into the boat.  To catch flying hair, she wrapped a white dishtowel around my shoulders.

Being a nice day, there are always people walking on the docks.  From the next dock over, there is a clear view to our finger dock.  Of course, people gawk.  I don't really care, but it is interesting to watch their reaction.  And the typical, "Do you have any appointments available after that guy?"

"Sure, but it's gonna cost you!"

When they ask how much, I take my life in my hands (since she is standing there with a sharp object in her hands) and say, "Forty years of hard labor."  I'm sure she knows I'm kidding... right, Hon?

At one point today, she went back into the boat to plug in the electric clippers.  There I was... sitting out on the dock by myself... in a royal blue long sleeve shirt with what looked like a white cape around my shoulders.  Yeah, I could see the gawks...

Look!  Over on that dock!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  Well, at least it's not a baked potato!

The haircut looks fine.  Always does.  Better than a trip to a new barber who may not know how to cut thinning curly hair.  And we have another "shared experience."  The best part: no boat captains were injured in the making of this story. ;-)

-------------------------

Since Joan didn't have to go to work early today, she made us a wonderful breakfast.  She is great about having fresh fruit all cut up for us before the main entree.  This is a wonderful time of year in the Pacific Northwest: lots of fresh, ripe produce, and the prices are very reasonable.  It's a lot better than the crappy ol' Pop-Tart I would be inclined to make for myself when she goes in early. :-)

No comments: