Sunday, August 5, 2012

Shhhhhhhhhhh!

It was nearly 9:30 when I got home last night.  Joan made me a light meal and I was ready for bed.  The weekend crowd is here, and they obviously don't have to get up early the next day.  At 11:00, I said to Joan, "I guess I'll have to go outside and talk to those people a slip or two over."  Apparently, she thought she could be more diplomatic and was out of bed in a flash.  I heard her say, "Folks, we want everyone to have fun here, but it is after 11:00, and some of us on this dock have to get up and go to work in the morning.  You are standing right outside our V-berth talking loudly - can you take it back to your own boat?"

It got quiet immediately.  Yeah, that is better than I would have done. ;-)

Our dock normally doesn't have any overnight renters, but one of the seasonal slip-holders must have vacated.  Joan said these folks have a couple kids who have been running back and forth in front of our boat all day... and not quiet about it.  She had to turn off the TV during the evening because these folks interrupted the satellite signal so much (walking in front of our Qube).

Ah, yes, the "4 days of summer." ;-)  No question about it, this is certainly the nicest weekend weather this season, so far.  And today is supposed to be even warmer - predicted high of 80º.  Being Sunday, I'm guessing it will be quieter this evening, though.

-----------------------------------

Sometimes you get what you deserve...

We had a young man on the boat yesterday who seemed to be getting louder as the trip progressed.  I kept an eye on him (I was doing naturalist duty, not driving).  When we got close to where the first humpback sighting was reported, while everyone else was excitedly looking around, he headed for the cabin.  One woman said to me, "I'm pretty sure he has vodka in that water bottle."

I could tell at a glance of his skin color and head droop, that I needed to get him out of the cabin... I got him to the aft rail just in time for his first yak.  "Sport, the rest of this trip is going to miserable for you.  You aren't gonna die, you'll just wish you could.  I'll check back on you in a bit.  Stay right here and you can't fall off."

I let the other naturalist know to keep an eye on him, too.  There wasn't much left in his "water" bottle (when I dumped it).  You would think there wouldn't be much left in his stomach, either, but he continued to heave for the next two hours.  His "friends" were quick to dessert him to watch the whale action.  Not surprising.

I have to say that the water conditions were the calmest I've seen in quite a while.  The whale watching was great.  We saw plenty of other fun wildlife, too.  Absolutely beautiful scenery in every direction.  Well, most of us got to see all this. ;-)

This was on the 1:30 trip.  I'm guessing that boy messed up his whole day.  Not mine - it was a great day to be on the water!

2 comments:

CampingCaptain said...

At least he was a passive drunk. I know you've had enough of the other type already.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yes, indeed, Bryan. Puking ones guts out really takes the ornery out of a guy! ;-) He was getting loud before getting sick... this was a better solution. Really, only that one incident with the drunk and disorderly guys. The owners tell me that has never occurred on their boats in the past. But, seriously - at 1:30 in the afternoon?? :-D Plus, that has to mess up your evening. LOL