Tuesday, August 21, 2012

We're going where??

We didn't have a whale report today.  Well, as we were getting ready to head out, a boat who was already out reported a Minke to the north.  We decided to head that direction.  It didn't pan out.  Then came a report of Orcas WAY north... as in: west and north of Point Robert.  We checked in with the office and were told: go for it!

I took a quick poll of guests on the boat... "Anybody on a tight schedule if we run late?  The whales are almost at Vancouver, Canada.  We will not be back anywhere near 4:30."

"Let's do it!!"

No way would we be back in time.  As we put the coals to it, the office was figuring how many people we had on both boats who had to be back to Friday Harbor in time for a 5:30 departure on the sea plane.  I let her know that we couldn't make it there and back in time.  The boss made arrangements with Kenmore Air for a 6:00 departure instead of 5:30.

"I don't think we can make that, either - but, it will be close."

She called back again, "OK, 6:15 - no later.  And earlier than that will be better.  And you probably have the rest of your guests who will need to make the 6:30 ferry."

At the beginning of the season, I really didn't like the uncertainty.  I think I'm developing a problem: I'm starting to enjoy the adrenaline rush.  ;-)

We ran across the Strait of Georgia with a latitude and longitude to aim towards.  I gave it all the horses we had.  It seemed like it took forever, but as we neared the target area, we could see a few Canadian whale watch boats on the scene... got it!

The guests were excited when we saw the first Orca porpoise, then breach!  Nice way to start!  They were running east at almost 8 knots; we set up at the legal distance and ran with them.  I let the guests know that we couldn't stay a long time... but, it was a fine viewing!  The Orcas were plentiful and active.  K-Pod... the same group we saw way south just a few days ago.

Figuring tide, current, distance, and our best top speed, we stayed until the last possible minute... then headed south.  Back across the Strait of Georgia again... the waves had built up a bit, but it wasn't bad... nothing that would slow us down.  We had to take the Strait at a diagonal due to the distance we needed to cover.  I kept going over the performance numbers along the way... it's gonna be close.

When we were about a half hour out, I called the office and told them we should be in with a couple minutes to spare.  Instead of going to our dock, we pulled up right at the Kenmore Air sea plane dock and unloaded those who needed to catch the plane.  Our boss was there at the dock, making sure the pilot didn't try to leave early.

The other guests were looking at the ferry that was already in... "Next stop, our dock, right next to the ferry landing.  You should have just enough time to casually walk over."

The first mate did a great job with lines, making both of our arrivals fast and efficient.  Guests were pleased.  It wasn't until I took a moment at the helm to do my log that I realized how wore out I was... in a good sort of way.

I had called Joan to let her know that I'd be a couple hours late so she wouldn't worry.

I checked out in the office and thanked the boss lady for making this all happen today.  When I got back to our boat, Joan said, "I want to hear all about your day... but, you'll never guess who I ran into today."

"Well, if I'll never guess, why don't you tell me?"

She was right - I never would have guessed... Jim and Deborah Bankson.  He was the Village Manager when we worked at the Tetons (which put him in charge of the marina).  "They are here on their boat and invited us over... if you aren't too tired.  Oh, and he quit at the Tetons."

"Well, I'd like to see them and hear all about it."  We poured some wine for her and a rum for me and went over to their boat.  It was like 'old home week.'  We talked about the Tetons, future plans, and just had a nice visit.  I'd be lying if I said Jim and I saw eye-to-eye on everything when we were both in the Tetons, but ... neither of us are in the Tetons anymore! ;-)  It was a different mood and no budget constraints to work out... definitely a better situation for both of us.

One of our first mates walked by the boat, and we called her over.  Jim and Deborah invited her aboard.  When we all left, while walking down the dock, we ran into friends Bob and Nita on their Ranger Tug!  At this rate, I'm never going to get back to the boat for some supper. ;-)

And interesting day, and a pleasant evening visiting.

Joan has tomorrow off, and I don't have to go in until noon... we can sleep in!


2 comments:

andwilliesaid said...

Wow! Glad you had the experience, and I had the rush along with you!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Wilma, we're looking forward to doing some 6 knot cruising... soon.