Tuesday, December 11, 2012

59º and a Tuesday Morning...

I know - there are plenty of folks in the frozen northland who can't sympathize with a high of 59º.  These northers generally last 3 days (it blew in yesterday morning).  Day two with long pants and socks, and a light jacket when we were out and about.  On the bright side, the wind was way down, blowing in the mid-teens instead of the 30s and 40s.

We stopped over to check on a friend's boat while they are out of town - the Laguna Madre was green with some whitecaps... WAY better than yesterday's brown water with foamy whitecaps with the tops blowing off of 'em!

Tuesday is one of the three days a week where Blackbeard's has chicken fried steak or chicken on special.  "Grandma food" sounded comforting on this chilly, blustery day.  As we left the restuarant, Joan asked, "Can we swing by Tuesday Morning on the way home?"

"It's already Tuesday afternoon."  I knew she meant the store, but I didn't know we had one locally.  Sure enough, there is a Tuesday Morning on South Padre Island.  I really should get out more.  "I suppose that's been there a while?" I asked.

"About two years."

If you have never been in a Tuesday Morning (no idea why they call it that), they have have an eclectic selection of goods: linens, dishes, kitchen do-dads, luggage, toys, knick-knacks, and an ever-changing array of other stuff that I don't need, either.  "What is that?"  (pretty sure I sound like a little kid in these places)

"It's a citrus reamer."

"Sounds pretty uncomfortable for the citrus."  It looked as dangerous as it sounds.  I could tell that I may be a candidate for that reamer if I kept asking dumb questions.

So, we spent Tuesday afternoon in a Tuesday Morning... something to do with the time/space continuum, I think.  Probably not, but it was the opportunity to use "continuum" here.  She's right: I do need to get out more.  This is what happens when we have two gray days in a row... I don't know how those people in the PNW do winter there.  "Let the sun shine... let the sun shine in..." (everybody sing)


1 comment:

andwilliesaid said...

Did you buy the citrus reamer? I need to see it. A daughter gave us an orange stick thing with a hook on it -- time passed, and I saw it in a drawer. what is this? She said,, "Mom, think about it. It is orange." I use it so often now.