Friday, May 24, 2013

One down...

Day one at work.  Joan was in the office, I was getting the second boat at this location ready for guests, but no trip for me today.  While Joan answered phones and filled seats, I went through safety equipment and put things in place on the boat.  The boat hasn't been run in a while and there were a few things that needed to be addressed.  I spent some time arranging, wrenching, got the boat fired up, then introduced a new 1st mate to procedures on the boat.

The new boss wanted to see how I handle the boat, so out we went.  I must have done OK, since he said, "See you in the morning." ;-)  The arrival procedures are a bit different for this boat, so the 1st mate job isn't cut and dried.  After a few arrivals at the dock, we began to mesh well.

Each time I came into the office, Joan was on the phone or dealing with a guest in person.  It is going to be a very busy holiday weekend.

As you might know, there was a bridge on I-5 that collapsed... that bridge is right before the main turn for traffic heading to Anacortes and the ferry to Friday Harbor.  The detour procedures need to be explained so people won't be late for the ferry.  This is going to be an issue as the traffic gets heavier.

I was done about 4:30, Joan worked until 6:00.  We traded stories at the end of the day... definitely different from last year, lots to learn as we blend the two companies.

It's going to be interesting

-----------------

Little Izzy missed us while we were away all day...


Yep, that's the sound end of a north-bound cat... something more interesting out the window than the fact that "Daddy's home!"  ;-)


No comments: