Monday, January 13, 2014

National "Pull 'em Over" Day...


No, we didn't get pulled over today.  BUT, we did see scads of people who were having a very bad day, due to being pulled over by various law enforcement.  I really don't know if there was some sort of organized effort, but we saw a couple dozen people pulled over in our travels today.


And speaking of travels, we have been away for 10 days.  The coldest we saw while out was -15º in Nebraska, the high along our route today was 85º.  That is a 100º temperature swing during our time out.  In case there is any doubt about it, we definitely prefer the warmer over the colder.

We were up early, packed and on the road at 5:30 this morning.  (Hope we didn't wake you, Dianne.)  I have no idea why people feel the need to be out at that ungodly hour, but the roads heading towards downtown Dallas were packed.


I couldn't help but think I couldn't be the only one on the road who was less than fully alert at that hour... but, they were passing us on both sides... I'm sure because I was only doing 10 mph over the posted speed limit (for self-preservation).  And, the aforementioned law enforcement was occasionally picking out a vehicle that was beyond that 10+ margin as the winner of the "Oh, Shit! lottery"... and that didn't slow traffic much at all.



Two hours later, we saw the sun come up.  Another hour and a half later, we found ourselves in the morning rush hour in Austin.  We've seen worse there.  It only slowed us by about 15 minutes.  On the bright side, we had a quartering tailwind all the way south.  I drove all the way, Joan was on the phone much of the way - she got everything on her "to do" list regarding her Mother done.  Amazing.

And now: home sweet home.  We are both wiped.  Little Isabella is all traveled out.  I told Joan I am looking forward to some down time... she reminded me that we have reservations in Arizona... next week.

Sigh.


No comments: