Saturday, January 11, 2014

Oh, that is disgusting...


This morning, before we headed to Joan's Mom's apartment to continue the task of sorting and emptying, Joan's brother, Gary, showed us his "Superman drink."  Gary is slender and fit.  He went on at great length about all the "good stuff" in this concoction he makes as a health drink: dinosaur kale, turnips, cucumber, carrots, bok choy, broccoli, bananas, strawberries, tangerine, apples, a pear, cherry juice, beet juice, almond milk, hemp protein powder, peppermint oil, nutmeg, turmeric...

It smelled like feet, and looked like something Linda Blair yakked up in The Exorcist.  "Do you want a taste?" he joyously asked.

I put a spoon into it.  It may have been unappealing to look at, but it made up for that by tasting like what I assume the bottom of the lawn mower scrapings would taste like... after you've driven over rotting vegetation and dog excrement.  BIG dog, not those little Tootsie Roll turds from little dogs.  Seriously, I am all for eating healthy (well, for others, not so much for me), but this was truly disgusting.

I had to go to In & Out Burger to get a double cheeseburger to get that nasty taste out of my mouth.  ;-)  I don't have a lot of vices, but tasty food is something I look forward to.  I don't believe I would ever be happy getting to the point where the best thing you can say about something you are going to eat is: "It isn't too bad once you get used to it."  I think Superman would pick Krytonite over torturing his tastebuds this way.

Then, off to the apartment.  I was grateful to not be the decision-maker for this task... been there, done that, and sure don't want the t-shirt.  Several of us guys carried stuff to the vehicles, I made a couple trips to the dumpster.  I felt bad while pushing a cart loaded with stuff for the dumpster through the halls of this very nice assisted-living facility.  I know it's a sight they see regularly.  I would not want to be reminded of it on an all-too-regular basis, though.

On the bright side, it was bright out.  And, reasonably warm: 68ยบ for a high today, and glorious sunshine.  Day 9 since we left home, and about the same since we have seen pleasant weather.


No comments: