Sunday, January 5, 2014

Winter Weather Advisory...


for tonight.  Duh.  It is close to zero (OMG - there's NO temperature!!) this evening, and it heading into negative numbers.  We haven't seen that since before we retired.  Well, OK, I was in some bitter winter weather three years ago when I spent time with my Mother after getting her out of the rehabilitative nursing home... in South Dakota... I can't talk about it - I still have nightmares of freezing to death in a snowdrift while taking out the garbage.  I can't believe we stayed in the frozen northland as long as we did.

But, I digress.

While the temperature fell all day as we headed north, the roads were decent... until we got to the Oklahoma City area.  Then, it was snow on the sides of the road...



The further north we drove, the more the snow encroached on the road.  I get a bit anxious when the passing lane is covered, and people still want to pass... and I'm driving the speed limit.  It's been a few years, but I remember how to drive in winter conditions - it's the guy passing that I don't know about.

Not too many butt-puckering times, but we did see cars in the ditch and pieces of cars hanging on some guardrails; evidence that some of those people were in conditions beyond their driving ability.

Here's a good way to lower your blood pressure and calm your nerves...


Isabella the therapy cat.

Joan found us a hotel at our intended day's destination.  We reached it just as dark was settling in.  The young lady at the desk wouldn't move on the pet fee, but she came down from the "senior rate," so that helps.  They have a full breakfast buffet in the morning, so we will be heading out with something to survive on if the 30% snow flurries predicted for tonight come to pass.

All Interstate to day, but it will be two lane roads tomorrow, across Kansas and Nebraska.  Sure hope they are decent.  We fueled up this evening with a #1 blend of diesel.  First time Big Red has seen that.  "Dangerous bone chilling cold" is what the Weather Channel is calling for tonight.  Record cold temps.  Swell timing, huh?



No comments: