Wednesday, February 17, 2016

She can pick 'em...


Talking about the Blonde.  Oh sure, you're probably thinking, "Well, that is obvious, she picked you."  Stop; you're making me blush.  And for the record: we picked each other.

Today was a scooter play day.  Joan made two suggestions, both choices she knew I'd like... "There is an Old Spaghetti Factory here... and what looks like a really good scooter road on the map... it's south of town... the Spaghetti Factory is right on the way to the squiggly road."  (For those not up on scooter terminology, squiggly road = fun riding.

We took off from the RV park.  When I said there is nothing out here in yesterday's post, this is what I meant...


Oh, maybe some windmills...


Yes, I had the DSLR camera around my neck.  We eventually approached civilization...


And, green grass...


Down to Highway 111 (what I'd call "the cruisin' road" through these desert cities), and...



"I'll have the Manager's Special."  I always have the Manager's Special at Old Spaghetti Factory... your choice of two sauces on the pasta - meat sauce and brown butter with Mizithra cheese.  That combination does not suck.  Lunch was good.  Back to the scoots, and a a stop for gas... 108 mpg for Joan, 102 for me.  Yeah, the price doesn't matter when you get that kind of mileage.  Oh, and we only buy about a gallon each.

Going by this street made me think about Paul McCartney not getting in to some party after the Grammy Awards - seems the dimbulb at the door didn't know who he was.


Bob Hope Drive.  A lot of the streets in this area are named after celebrities from "the olden days."  I wonder if kids now know who this is?

We drove past El Paseo...


Ritzy shopping.  It is to this area as Rodeo Drive is to Beverly Hills.  No, we didn't stop.  Honestly, I don't like to valet park my scoot - you just know they're going to take it out for some joy riding.  Well, that's how I see it.

We turned right onto Monterey, which is also Highway 74.  Or, as it is known to us: the squiggly road.  It took us up into the mountains...




We stopped at an overlook to check out the Coachella Valley below and behind us...



Back on the road, which is even better than we anticipated.  We both proclaimed this the best scooter road we've been on since the Olympic Peninsula last September.





More of the same, riding with a big ol' smile on my face...





Not sure what this was (new NSX maybe?), but it came up behind us fast, then turned off at the pullout...


There were two more of them a bit further down the road, and a film crew that was taking down their equipment.  Yeah, this would be good place to film a car ad.



Getting closer to town, we pulled into the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument...




I thought it would be the opportunity to use my Geezer Pass again, but no fee.  They had some displays there with rattlesnakes, spiders, and bats.  Apparently, this is a popular hiking area; basing that on the t-shirts they sold there, saying, "I hiked it - I liked it!"  We didn't.

The wind had really come up at the higher elevations, but slacked off as we got close to the valley floor.  Back to civilization again...



Further evidence of some strong wind moving in...


Those are lenticular clouds over the mountains.  Sure enough, when we got back to the motorhome, we saw there is a High Wind Warning from now until tomorrow afternoon.  Our timing was good.  An hour after we got back, the clouds are moving in and the wind is kicking up.  We may get "sand blasted on our way to the "healing hot tub."  ;-)


No comments: