Saturday, September 3, 2016

Second to the last day...


A cool start to the day, and a few sprinkles.  No big deal - it was dry for my scooter ride into town, I got sprinkled on a bit going from the boat to the office.  One third of the guests on our boat were coming in by seaplane, and there was a weather issue for those flights.  Joan let me know that those guests would probably be a little late in getting there - she also let the other guests know that we would be boarding 15 minutes late.  People are understanding if you let them know what is going on.

First mate Alex brought the guests down to the boat, I did a slightly abbreviated orientation, and we shoved off.  Good whale reports - I had my choice of where to go... with good info, I opted to go north and catch the leaders.  On the way there, plenty of sunshine...



First view of the whales - and I thought "What is that private boat doing so close??"


Ohhh - it is one of the research boats.  From a distance, I couldn't see the yellow flag or read the side of the boat.  Yes, they are allowed to be that close - it's their job.

Just a heads up here - a bunch of whale photos coming.  With the season wrapping up, I wanted to get a few shots.  As always, they are one-handed grab shots, so I don't get the peak of the action... but, they are good memories for me.  I am very attached to these animals - one of the best perks of what I do is getting to see them almost daily.  I don't take that for granted.

On with some whale photos...




We caught up with these J and K pod Orcas near Stuart Island and enjoyed viewing them up Haro Strait, past Turn Point, across Boundary Pass, and up to Pender Bluffs on North Pender Island, in the Canadian Gulf Islands...





A very good day of whale viewing today.  Nice guests on the boat.  Beautifully calm water.  We took "the scenic route" back to Friday Harbor - had the guests back in time so they could leisurely walk to the seaplane dock for their trip back to Seattle.

This is a great way to wrap up my season - we'll see what tomorrow brings.


No comments: