Tuesday, September 27, 2016

When it stops being numb, my ass is gonna hurt...


I have been wanting to check out the Mickelson Trail - today was the day.  The trail is named for Governor George Mickelson, who spearheaded the rails to trails project before his death in a plane crash in 1993.  The tracks were last used in 1983 by the Burlington Northern Railroad.  It is 108.8 miles on the main trail, with an additional 9 miles of branch trails; nearly all of the trail follows the abandoned rail line.  It is mountainous, forested, and scenic, running from Deadwood to Edgemont.  It passes through the heart of the Black Hills - much of it is in the Black Hills National Forest, some parts of it pass through private property (you are restricted to the trails there).

Hiking, biking, and horseback - no motorized vehicles allowed.  There are trailheads scattered along the route - we decided to start in Hill City...


Yes, those bikes fit in the back of the CR-V.


A section of the trail map...


We rode the section between trailheads 8 and 7, and a bit further.  Elevations ran as high as 5,500' - a reach for us sea-level dwellers.  Beautiful fall colors everywhere!

Riding through the town of Hill City, and onto the trail...



Wild turkeys just off the trail...


Starting the climb out of the Hill City area...



We stopped for photos frequently...


Joan packed us water and soda to keep hydrated, and we picked up a Subway before we got to the trailhead, to go with the other snacks Joan had for us.  Lunch on the trail...


Lunch with a view: looking both ways on the trail...



There are benches every few miles.  And, a potty on this stretch...



A pump for hand washing.

Further down the trail, we went through a cattle gate...


More pretty views on the trail...


I was hoping we could make it to one of the tunnels (about 12 miles up the trail)...



My idea of a selfie: with the camera on the timer, sitting on a stump...


A little refreshment...


OK, decision time: we have covered a lot of miles - there is another tunnel further down the trail.  Downhill.  Steep.  We can go check it out, but that means a heck of a climb coming back up.  Yeah - let's go!


We made it!



It is a lot of uphill from here...




We are heading back, and there is at least 4 miles of uphill climb... the battery indicator on my bike is flickering between 1/4 and 1/2, spending more time at 1/4.  Odds are pretty good, this uphill climb will do it in.

Now, flickering between 1/4 and empty.  Joan points at a pretty scene...




When I stop to take that shot two above, the battery says, "Bye-bye!"  Oh, shit - a couple more miles of pretty steep uphill, and I'm going to have to truly muscle it.  After a mile or so of that, Joan said, "Take my bike..."

"What are you going to do?"

"Well, I'm not tired from riding without the pedal assist."

I said, "No... you go on... I'll just lay here in the bushes until the coyotes eat me... it's OK... save yourself!"  I'm pretty good with the drama stuff.  ;-)  We have plenty of daylight left, and if I can make it the next couple miles of killer uphill, it will be mostly downhill the rest of the way.




My legs started getting a bit "rubbery"... "OK, I'll swap for a while."  I got on her bike, and a couple minutes later, her battery went to empty.  I guess we'll both get rubbery legs... or wait to be eaten by the coyotes.  ;-)

The trail faked me out: it looked like we would crest this incline... turn the corner, and... more hill.  Finally, the pedaling got easier... I upshifted... "Hey, we're going downhill!  And, I'm not talking about my lung capacity!"




The home stretch...


We pedaled back through Hill City, to the trailhead, and our CR-V.  We took a few minutes to load up the bikes, and headed for home.  Tired, but satisfied.  The bikes did a fine job - this is as far as we've taken them without a recharge... and we did ride them around the park a time or two before this trek.  Lesson learned: if you plan to take a long ride, charge 'em up, even if the batteries are saying they are full.

Back to Hart Ranch, we plugged in the bikes then sat outside with Izzy.  Joan brought us beverages.  It is an absolutely beautiful day in the Black Hills.

And, of course, I am aware that it isn't a real post without some Izzy content...




-------------------------

And, a couple phone selfies...



A shot Joan took of me setting up for a shot with the timer...


For anyone keeping track, we rode about 28 miles today!


4 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Great Blog-- Makes my Coffee better..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, HRB.

Bud said...

Looks like a lot of fun.

Love the colors.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Bud - most fun yet with the e-bikes!