Tuesday, February 13, 2018

You think I'm cute?


In spite of the nocturnal acrobatics, Rufus is a good boy.  Lovey.  He seems grateful to have a family, and we are happy to have him.

Joan picked up some new fabric in the past week and is looking to start on another quilt.  There is also some laundry to do, so she said, "How about you take me to Steph's and I'll do the laundry and have a place to start cutting some fabric for a quilt?"

"Sure.  You're not just trying to get some peace and quiet away from Rufus and me, are you?"

"Umm... no."

We left Rufus on his own in the coach, and I took Joan to Steph's.  We have to find out if we can trust him to be alone and not tear things up in the coach.  I try to make it a short time alone, for now.  When I came back to the coach, he was right where I left him.

"How about you and I go for a walk?" I said to him.  We are in the very early stages of learning each other's language.  I held up the leash and he came to me.  I put his walking harness on - right way facing forward this time - and clipped on the leash.  When I opened the door, he did not bound right out.  While he was sitting there, I got out my DSLR to take something besides a grab shot of him - most of what I have taken in the past few days has been with my phone.


"You think I'm cute?" he asked.

"Yes, I think you are a very handsome boy.  So does your Momma.  In fact, so does everyone who sees you."

I carried him outside for a walk.  He did a fine job with the first run.  Same with the second, a little further.  On the third try, I took him quite a ways from the coach... he wasn't sure about the way home.  But, being out there didn't scare him.  When I tried to encourage him to go a certain direction, he did the same "moon-walk" Izzy did when she was first learning... moving backwards from the way we needed to go.  "That's OK, little man - this is a long ways."

I carried him back to where he could see the door of the coach, and he headed that direction; a comfortable slow walk, not a panic-stricken, scared move.  He was curious, looking around as we walked.

Back on the patio mat, he was content to sit out for a while.  While still holding the leash, I let out enough line to step inside the coach to get my camera again.  He was fine with me not being right beside him.

"Let me take a few more photos," I said to him.

"Get my profile," he said.  "It really shows off my cool stripes!"



"Yes, Rufus, those are some good-looking markings."

The session wouldn't be complete without a classy head-shot...


"Yep, you are a fine-looking boy!"

I brushed him before we went inside.  Pretty sure I didn't do it as good as his Momma does.

Time for a nap...


------------------

On edit: Supper with Steph and Dan at their place.  Joan made Steph's favorite au gratin potatoes that she didn't get to have at Christmas time, Steph made pork chops - a good combo.

Rufus got to stay by himself while we were at Steph's; yes, he did fine.  We did a little more walking when we got back (trying to get him tuckered out so he'll sleep tonight), and I got this sunset image with my phone while we were out...



2 comments:

Hudson River Boater said...

Glad Rufus is settling well..
Where are you three off to next?? I guess time will tell..

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi HRB - Staying here for a while... get to spend time with our daughter and son-in-law.