Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Clear!!

It was time to re-certify for a CPR/AED course (required for the captains license). There are some things that have changed since last year, but I did ace the test. One question did cause me some concern: are you sure you aren't supposed to fire a warning shot over the victim's head before starting CPR? ;-)

The most current guidelines through the American Heart Association now state that you should start with chest compressions right away, instead of doing 2 breaths. Seems that less than 50% of heart attack victims ever get CPR... mostly because people are concerned about that mouth-to-mouth starting point. Chest compressions alone are better than no CPR at all.

Kinda like working up to that first date smooch, I guess. I don't know, it's been over 40 years since I had a first date.

3 comments:

Bob Keim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Keim said...

We will have one at our YC shortly. They did 2 last year and will likely do 3 this year. The trainer is certified by some authority, so it will count for me. Pretty handy. :)

Now, I just need to get a boat job!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hey Bob,

Planning to give up your day job? ;-) What about refitting TPIII and heading for the horizon? How are things going with the refit?

Re: the CPR cert - I did the American Red Cross last year, and that re-cert is only for 1 year. The American Heart Association re-cert is for 2 years.

Best wishes,
Jim