Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Learnin' more stuff...

The next couple days, I'll be on the boat and in the office... trying to learn the Naturalists' job and how things work for bookings.  That's what I get for saying, "I can work where you need me." ;-)  I'm most comfortable at the helm, and even though I've been studying, I don't have the knowledge of the wildlife we see that our Naturalists with marine biology degrees possess.  Since I'm two to three times their age, I do have some "life knowledge" that I may be able to add.

It's a cold and drizzly day today, so we will see what size group we have on the boat.  The weather certainly affects last minute bookings.  Today will only be in the 50s, with rain and wind (15 - 25 mph predicted).  I'll be dressed in layers... lots of layers.  On the bright side, the bigger boat has an enclosed cabin.  And heat.

Thanks for having a sense of humor about the "image" yesterday.  The lack of images over the past week was due more to my computer being in for repair than anything else.  Joan graciously let me use hers, but mine is set up for image storing and Photoshop; it was quite a work-around posting any photos the past week.  But, I certainly did learn that lesson: when the hot chocolate is ready for the table, the computer comes off the table first.

If you are in an area where you'll see the sun today, Venus starts its transit across the sun (beginning at 3:09 PDT).  This won't happen again until 2117, so if you miss this one... well, you know.  Don't look directly at the sun to see this event.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/2012-venus-transit.html

Looking at our local forecast, I think we'll have to watch it later on the national news.


No comments: