Tuesday, June 12, 2012

So, would you go to a barber who says...

... "This is gonna be bad!"??

I'm kinda experienced with customer service, and I think that is not a good way to start a haircut.  Oh, by the way, I'm married to my barber... Joan has been cutting my hair for years.  I used to go to Mark the barber in Spearfish.  I've had my share of $3 haircuts in Mexico.  But, Joan does a fine job... maybe because she has to look at me afterwards?

Now I have to admit that it is much easier to do a haircut when we're at home... or out in the RV... or on any surface that doesn't move, like a floating dock.  We usually make it a point to be inconspicuous.

She threw away the plastic "cape" (there's probably a better word for that thing barbers wrap around you) that came with the clippers.  I always hated that thing, 'cause it stuck to my skin in the heat and humidity of south Texas.  Today, she looked around for something to wrap around me... and came up with... a space blanket.  For those of you not familiar with a space blanket, it is a piece of silver foil to be used as an emergency blanket... or to signal aircraft flying overhead.

I looked like a baked potato...


Very inconspicuous.  The wind was blowing, so that silver space blanket was flapping in the breeze... and making a loud look-at-me crinkling noise.  The few people who came out to investigate the commotion gave me looks that ranged somewhere between amused and pity.  I'm pretty sure boats 15 miles away were picking up that space blanket on their radar!

Did I mention the dock moves?  The only thing more fun than dressing up like a baked potato is having someone tilting back and forth with scissors right next to your face.  I had to laugh out loud.  Hell, the neighbors already think we have a porta-potty sitting out by the bow of our boat.  They've seen me walk a cat on a leash...


Do you really think I'm going to be concerned about them saying, "Oh, look, that Texas guy is dressed like a baked potato.  Does this mean there's going to be a potluck?"

Cutting hair on a moving dock?  What could possibly go wrong with that plan??  Oh, it started to sprinkle just as Joan made the first cut... "I hope I can finish this before it really starts to rain."  Swell, half a haircut.

Rain in the Pacific Northwest?  What a surprise!  Well, I'm gonna stay dry - I have a freakin' space blanket!!  Mother Nature backed off on the precip... she wanted to watch this play out, too.

I watched Joan (well, the scissors, 'cause they were very close to my eyes) sway back and forth.  I anticipated a good gouging at any moment.

It didn't happen.  That's how good Joan is.  It's a fine haircut.  And very little clean up since we did it out on the dock (unlike the time we tried it on the back of the boat).

I have to go now... there's a neighbor outside with a bucket of sour cream.


1 comment:

Jim Thornton said...

If the bake potato angle doesn't work out, you could always be a Jiffy Pop!