Thursday, June 14, 2012

Those whales are a long ways off...

I knew I was going to run long on today's trip when it took me two hours to get TO the whales... for a three hour trip.  Nope, can't make up that kinda time.  We had reports that the whales were in Plumper Sound just before we left.  I guess they heard we were coming - they ran north, then west through Active Pass.  By the time we caught up with them, they were into the Strait of Georgia.  BUT, we did get our guests some whale watching, including a nice breach just as we came upon the whales.

I had the naturalist check with everyone to make sure no one had to make an early ferry or catch a plane... they were here to see whales, so we were good to go... and go.

Back to our dock just over an hour late.  Our other boat got back earlier for a very quick turn around, but I didn't have a second trip today.  Just as we thanked our passengers and I headed back up to the helm, I heard, "Hey, Captain Jim!"

It was our friend, Casey!  I invited him onboard while I shut everything down and put the boat to bed for the day.  After Joan and I got off work, we met Casey at his boat (nice CC-23) for a pleasant happy hour before the 3 of us walked uptown for supper out.

We're excited for Casey that he has some fun summer cruising ahead.

After we parted company for the evening, the wind died to the point that the water in the marina was glassy, with a reflection of the days last rays in the water...


All I had with me was my cell phone, but the light was very pretty.  No image manipulation, and it looks like a watercolor.  Just a few seconds later, and walking the other direction, the soft light on the marina was gone, as the sun slipped behind the hill...






A nice ending to the day.


No comments: