Friday, July 20, 2012

An AMAZING whale viewing today...

The morning charter didn't happen - the sea plane couldn't take off from Seattle.  I walked back to work, in the rain, to get the boat ready again, this time for our 1:30 whale watch trip.  The rain stopped before we boarded guests, but the sky stayed gray with a low overcast...


One of the guests asked me what direction we'd be going to look for whales.  I told her, "Probably north.  I'm hoping for an updated report on the whale location, a fresh weather report, and then we'll make our decision as we're heading out of the harbor."

That's how it is done most days.  Today, I was hearing about 4 to 6 foot waves to the south, 2 to 3 foot waves to the north... and the whales somewhere between that.  North it is.

It was a lumpy, chilly ride.  I heard from one boat that was south of where we intended to go, confirming the sea state and saying the the whales were heading north.  As I came around the northwest side of San Juan Island, I saw the first three dorsel fins - got 'em!  We got as close as we are allowed, and the guests were ooooohhing and aaahhhhing.

This group was heading south.  Another report of a larger group to the south, heading north.  I checked with the naturalist to make sure everyone was doing OK in the lumpy conditions, then turned south... into more wave action.  We all saw about 10 dorsel fins break the water, heading in our direction.  Then, more behind that!

A "super pod"!!  A get-together of J, K, and L pods!  As the groups closed in on each other, we were perfectly positioned for viewing.  I swear, it looked a a choreographed dance!  The came together, passed through each other, swung around, circled, then moved together as a group!  This was the biggest group of Orcas I have ever seen!  And, they were active: a breach here, a series of tail-lobs there.  A female showing a tail slap, then a youngster doing a few of the same.

More boats showed up, but there was plenty of room for everyone, and we were still positioned right.  This is going to be hard to top as far as my summer experience here.  I wish I had photos to show you, but I had my hands full at the helm.  I have the images captured in my memory.

When it was time to head back, I had to wait for a break in the whale activity so I could get by them to head east.  The water was still lumpy, but no one seemed to notice.  On the way back, I took the guests by some rocks where we saw Momma seals with their fresh pups.  More wildlife on Spieden.  It was truly an amazing day.

Back at the dock, I thanked the guests, helped them off the boat, then helped the first mate get stuff put away and washed down the boat.  Joan has to work tonight, but I brought her some supper, got little Izzy fed, and sat down to replay the day in my head... yeah, just as good as a rerun.

When I walked uptown to get Joan something, I walked by this - I'll call it the interesting boat of the day...


That little bitty tug looks like it would almost fit in Wild Blue's cockpit.  Not far from this boat was a brand new Mainship Trawler - it was gorgeous... and not getting nearly the attention that little tug was garnering.

Oh, and yep, it started sprinkling again as I walked back to our boat.


No comments: