Friday, July 6, 2012

Long day on the boat...

We frequently run two trips a day on the bigger boat; generally just one per day on the smaller boat, unless there is a charter.  Turns out I had two trips on that boat today... and what a day!  Sunshine, light breeze, the temperature made it above 70º... and whales... plenty of whales.  At one point this afternoon, I had whales on both sides of the boat - males, females, a couple of breaches, spy hops, pec slaps, and a "barrel-roll" kinda maneuver.

The currents were ripping, and it got a bit "sporting" out there on the way back - three foot standing waves at Cattle Pass!  Somewhere around 6 knots of current there.

The sunset whale watch was more laid back - over the top of the island and out into Haro Strait.  The whales were right on the US/Canada border... and they were more laid back, too.  Still, a great viewing.  Even though the whales weren't as active as this afternoon, the guests were more into it.

We came back through Mosquito Pass and Roche Harbor, with a swing by Spieden Island for a look at a Momma and baby seal, the Mouflon sheep, and several bald eagles.  No way I could fit that into a three hour trip, but I had the naturalist check to make sure everyone was OK with getting back a little late.  They all really enjoyed the extra time.  So did I (even though it was a long day).

I couldn't help myself... I pulled my phone out and got these shots over my shoulder on the way home...



It was a lovely ending to a very nice day.  Several of the guests wanted something to commemorate this outing, but the office was closed when we got back.  I gave the naturalist my key so she could sell them what they wanted while I got the boat put away.

Since we all had to work late, the boss sent Joan to get food for us between the trips - she came back with a couple outstanding pizzas.  Nice touch.  This truly is a good bunch to work with - everybody works together well and looks out for each other.


No comments: