Sunday, July 1, 2012

Put on a happy face...

Remember the song: "Gray skies are gonna clear up..."?

They did.  Contrary to what the weather weasels predicted, the day started sunny, stayed sunny throughout the day, and ended sunny...


Not a bad view in the marina, either.  I went into work a little early to put fuel on the boat I was driving.  It is a holiday weekend (Canada Day today), and both boats were full.  We headed north with a report that the whales were on the west side of the island, heading north.  Well, they must have really been moving, 'cause we wound up going north of Stuart Island and into Canadian waters to find them.

But, what a show once we got there!  Our boat was one of the first on the scene, and we had a ringside seat while a big male Orca and a half dozen females chugged right along.  The guests were delighted with the views we had today.  I made it a point to put us on the "good light" side of the whales, and cameras were clicking away.

By the time we were ready to head back south, I felt like I had been riding a mechanical bull for 3 hours.  The water was a bit sloppy... you really feel that up on that tall flybridge.

Joan and I got off work at the same time; nice to walk home with my Honey.  We unhooked Wild Blue and took her around to the dump station... not much of a ride, but it still felt good.  What a sweet boat.  Back to the slip, and supper out on the lanai (the cockpit).  I took Izzy for a short walk, got a photo of Popeye, the one-eyed seal who has made the marina her home...


Hard to tell, but I think that's a happy face on Popeye, too.  No doubt she's getting plenty of attention with all the people in the marina.

While walking back to the boat, I came across this unusual vessel...


It looks like someone started with a lifeboat and added a conestoga wagon.  Whatever gets you out on the water.

The marina is buzzing with traffic and activity; more movement on our dock than I've seen all season.  Welcome to the season.  Full boats again tomorrow (I generally don't look more than one day in advance).  And a pretty good chance of more blue skies! :-)



No comments: