Tuesday, July 17, 2012

She's got spunk...

Joan had to go into work early today: 7:45 am.  I didn't have to go in until noon.  Being the dutiful boat husband that I am, I did my chores, then took Isabella for a walk.  I could tell she still wanted something when we got back to the boat... "Do you want to be brushed?"

Yep, that was it.  Our other cats were not real keen on being brushed; Isabella loves it.  I got the brush out, and she hopped right up on the cooler in the cockpit, ready to go.  She nearly throws herself at the brush... it's kind of comical.  When I was done, I started to put the brush away, and she bit my arm!  Not hard; she's never bitten either of us so that it even leaves a mark on the skin... but, it was very clear that she wasn't done being brushed.  Faking like I was mad, I put my finger in her face and said, "Don't bite your Daddy!"

She swatted my hand!  She's never done that before.  Defiant.  I laughed to myself and put my finger back in her face... she swatted me again.  "Isabella! What did you do?"  She folded her ears against her head and swatted me again.  I laughed out loud.  I don't think she liked that.

"Are you ready for some chow?"  She knows "chow," and her defiance immediately changed to sweetness.  This is too easy.  ;-)

The morning had started off foggy once again, but was sunny and pleasant when I walked to work.  It was a great day for whale watching, and we saw plenty of whales.  The highlight was an up-close-and-personal appearance from Blackberry.  Honestly, I think he has a "thing" for the boat I drive.  We left the scene with happy guests.  I had a few extra boat chores to do before heading home... Joan waited, then helped with with one fix, and we walked home together.

There was a marimba band playing in the park as we walked to the boat.  It was just shy of 70º, but the music gave things a tropical feel as we walked.  Snacks and an adult beverage in the cockpit, where we could still hear the music.  Not a bad way to wrap up the day.

Tomorrow is my birthday.  I used to make a big deal out of NOT working on my birthday when we had the studio... everyone got the day off, with pay (kinda like a national holiday ;-) ).  Yeah, I'll be working on my birthday.  I'm going to be forty nineteen. :-D  I'll get the next day off, so we'll celebrate then.  In the meantime, taking a boat full of guests to see whales is a pretty OK way to spend your birthday.


3 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

Have fun tomorrow,maybe the boat will sing for you :)

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Happy birthday Jim!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, guys!