Sunday, July 29, 2012

Use your head!

Early in the season, we had an issue with the head in the boat I drive most often... I had to pull things apart, remove something (no details, but apparently the woman who put it in the head can "run, play tennis, and ride horses"), and put it all back together.  After that, I made a new rule: the first mate has to check the head after each guest use; mostly to make sure the valve is NOT left in the wrong position.  The owner put it into our SOP.  I tell the guests: "If you didn't eat or drink it, it doesn't go in the toilet.  The first mate will be checking the head when you are done, to make sure the valve is back in the proper position."

Apparently, one of the first mates thought I was kidding.  When we got back from today's trip (a beautiful day on the water, thanks for asking - it was nice to not get pounded by waves), the head compartment was flooded.  When I looked down there, the cause was immediately apparent: the valve was left in the wrong position!  No pun intended - I was pissed!  Yes, we had words... well, I had words, some of them less than pleasant, because the lack of attention on the part of the first mate was making an ugly job for me (and more expense for the company).  This was not done in front of anyone else (praise in public, correct in private), but there is NO question that this job will be done on every future trip.

When I was done, I felt like a meanie.  She apologized over and over... "Don't be sorry - just do your job, and you won't have to feel bad, and I won't be up to my ankles in waste water!"  If this was the first time, I would have more patience.  It wasn't, I don't.

All that aside, it was a beautifully sunny day.  The water was mostly pleasant.  We didn't see Orcas, but we did see whales (Minkes).  And eagles.  And watched two male Stellar Sea Lions argue over who was the alpha male.  Lots of seals, including some cute little pups.  It really was a lovely day on the water, just a pissy ending when we got back to the dock.

A few views from the day:

Mt. Baker in the distance...


You know the water is calm when someone is standing on the cabintop of a boat (no, we don't allow that on our boats)...


Beautifully sparkly water as we left the Minke whales...


A classic looking schooner that we passed on the way north...


A beautiful day to be out on the water. :-)


2 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Why didn't you have her clean it up? Not in her job description but it IS in yours? 😱

Charlie

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Good question, Charlie. She had to get on the other boat for the next trip. I also had to finish "her" job - boat stuff gets put away and locked in that compartment... and that couldn't happen until the compartment got pumped out. Had she not been scheduled for a quick turn on the other boat, she would have been doing the work.