Friday, June 28, 2013

A morning off...

I was on-call for a late morning trip, but it didn't materialize.  I have a trip this afternoon, so I had the morning off.  Sound travels on the water... if you listen close, you can hear the siren song of the elusive chocolate topped donut calling your name on a quiet morning like this.  It has been days since I've heard this call, so I thought it best to search it out.

I walked to our Friday Harbor office to see if anyone there had heard the call... the cute Blonde I've been trying to get friendly with was busy, but she smiled and shook her head, no.  I tried to temp the boss, a very health conscious, tall, slender, triathalon-running kinda guy with something healthy... "Maybe I can find you a sawdust muffin?  Or something with twigs and leaves in it?"

No takers.

I mentioned the striking fog outside the harbor this morning...


Look to the middle of that scene: the top of the terrain on Shaw Island is just peeking above the fog bank.  I didn't have my camera with my, so the phone had to do.  Perspective: when I am on the boat, I'd just as soon not see fog.  While strolling casually along, it is pretty to view.  In the office, they were on the phone with the seaplane company, since many of our guests arrive that way.

I made my way up Spring Street and found the donut calling my name.  I resisted the cries of its siblings in the donut case and took just that one.

Coming back to the boat, I visited with a couple of our kayak guides.  With the new owner, the kayak business is a big part of what we do.  They were gearing up for a multi-day excursion with what looked to be junior high age kids...


While I wouldn't want to do it, I have to say that I am awed by the abilities of our guides - they are responsible for their guests, take them island to island, set up camp, cook for them, build their confidence, encourage... and do it all with sincere concern and a sense of humor.

I did see something that probably helps...


Yeah, that's a bag of energy bars.  ;-)

They gray skies are lifting.  After today, the weather looks to be darn near perfect for the next 10 days... if you can believe the forecast.


No comments: